Cherokee County Fire
& Emergency Services

Fire Safety House Travels to Schools to Teach Fire Safety

November 7, 2019

The Fire Safety Educators with Cherokee County Fire & Emergency Services just completed their annual visits to most of the elementary schools in Cherokee County to teach approximately 2500 youngsters about fire safety.

According to Fire and Life Educator, Beth Elder, “We started traveling to the schools on October 2nd visiting with kindergarten age students.”  The fire safety topics that are covered during the visit include staying away from stoves and ovens when in use, safe directions for pot handles on the stoves, first aid burns, safe microwave practice, always have 2 ways out during a fire emergency and have a meeting place. 

The students also have an opportunity to visit with Cherokee County firefighters who bring a fire engine to the school to speak about some of the tools they use when fighting fire.  The students are also giving an opportunity to step inside the fire engine to get a closer look at the vehicle.

Fire safety education is extremely important in educating students on being safe with fire and teaching them what to do in a fire emergency.

go back

Cherokee County firefighter, Mike Thomas, shows students some of the tools they work with on the fire scene.
Cherokee County firefighter, Mike Thomas, shows students some of the tools they work with on the fire scene. (click image for slideshow)
Fire and Life Educator, Beth Elder, tells students to always have a
Fire and Life Educator, Beth Elder, tells students to always have a "meeting place" if a fire occurs.
Cherokee County firefighters, Mike Thomas and Ricky Jordan, visit with students from Little River Elementary School.
Cherokee County firefighters, Mike Thomas and Ricky Jordan, visit with students from Little River Elementary School.
The students go inside the fire safety house to learn about fire safety in the kitchen and bedroom.
The students go inside the fire safety house to learn about fire safety in the kitchen and bedroom.